I’m writing a post for (feminist magazine) Bitch’s blog about Lost. Specifically, I’m writing about Kate and why the fan community seems to hate her so much – more than any other character, I’d say - and what sexism has to do with it.
Now, I’m not much of a Kate fan myself, so please don’t take it as judging. I am more curious than anything, and you all are just a terrific community – thoughtfully critical and gracious, So, I have a few questions as loose guidelines about what I’m interested in:
1. How do you feel about Kate? Why?
2. How has your opinion of the character changed over the course of the show?
3. How do you think the fan community reacts to her? Why or why not?
4. What do you think of the writer’s treatment of the character (in particular the triangle)? Do you think it contributes to the fan community’s reaction? Why or why not?
5. What do you think of Evangeline Lilly’s performance? How does it contribute to the fan community’s reaction?
6. Can I quote you, or are you just interested in discussion on ontd_lost? Any relevant details about you (gender, age, length of time in the fandom) that you’re okay with sharing?
Answer as many or few as you want!
I’m writing from a feminist perspective so answers from that point of view will be particularly helpful! But, I’m interested in gauging fan reaction as a whole, so I am not just looking for patriarchy-blaming. I want all opinions on the Kate-hate spectrum – I’m not looking for validation of my dislike of the character!
Y’all are endlessly awesome – ontd_lost is probably my favorite comm on the interwebs. Thanks so much for your time, and happy Tuesday!